POPULATION FOUNDATION OF INDIA
The Population Foundation of India (PFI) currently hosts the national secretariat of Advocating Reproductive Choices.
The majority of PFI’s work on population issues focuses on shifting the current thinking and programmes on family planning in order to empower people, especially women, to make decisions regarding their health, fertility, and well-being. Women’s empowerment, gender equity and equality, quality of care, informed and expanded contraceptive choices, and the sexual and reproductive health needs of young people both in rural and urban areas are PFI priority areas. PFI sees male involvement and engagement with community leaders and institutions as an integral component of its work.
Policy advocacy informed by empirical evidence is the cornerstone of PFI’s work. A key strength of the organization comes from its ability to convene and work with coalitions and alliances for advocacy at state, national and international levels. The organisation is currently engaged in advocacy to strengthen the government’s family planning programme in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, and at the national level in order to realise government commitments for FP2020.
PFI works with the Indian government and NGO partners to engage with and empower communities to monitor the provision of services by the public health system. It has a long history of grant making, primarily to local non-governmental organisations.
THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ARC NATIONAL SECRETARIAT:
- Responsible for operationalisation and day-to-day functioning of ARC
- Convenes meetings, workshops, and conferences as scheduled or decided by the Core Committee with prior intimation to the members. Logistics and other arrangements are to be made by the secretariat during such events.
- Prepares agenda minutes of the meetings and keeps regular contact with the members at the national and state level
- Following the recommendations of the Core Committee, initiates the planned activities in facilitating advocacy efforts
- Maintains close coordination with the State Chapters and represents in the Core Commitee meetings.
- Reports decisions on advocacy initiatives at the state level to the National Core Committee
- Takes all necessary steps for capacity building of stakeholders and state-level members